Is there anything better following the long, cold winter than finally having the ability to open up the windows and let the fresh, warm, springtime breezes blow throughout your house? Something about the sights, aromas, and sounds of nature gives us an effective pick-me-up, which is the reason why it is so important for older adults to have the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being outside to the fullest extent possible.
Of distinct benefit to seniors are environments which are green and “blue” (those that consist of still or running water). According to Jessica Finlay, a doctoral candidate in geography and gerontology at the University of Minnesota and head researcher in a recent study of 65 – 86-year-olds, “We discovered how a relatively mundane experience, such as hearing the sound of water or a bee buzzing among flowers, can have a tremendous impact on overall health. Accessibility to everyday green and blue spaces encourages seniors to simply get out the door. This in turn motivates them to be active physically, spiritually, and socially, which can offset illness, disability, and isolation.”
Try the following ideas to ensure senior loved ones take full advantage of the benefits of being outside and discovering and engaging in the natural world that surrounds them:
- Invite your loved one to excursions at local parks, specifically those that incorporate a body of water, even when it is something as simple as a small koi pond or water fountain.
- Help the older adult create and maintain a small container garden of whatever is interesting – a well-liked type of flower, a variety of easy-to-grow vegetables, or a small bonsai tree.
- For anyone with dementia, provide occasions for sensory stimulation utilizing natural items, such as sand, potting soil, grass, leaves, water, etc. Simply set containers of various materials on a picnic table outdoors and allow the senior to investigate.
- Visit a playground to allow for the additional joy of hearing children’s laughter coupled with the songs of birds and rustling leaves.
- Construct a specific area on the front porch or in a shaded part of the yard that includes comfy seating, and then make it an everyday routine, when weather permits, to sit and enjoy discussions, read books, and take pleasure in some seasonal fresh fruit or a picnic lunch together.
Get in contact with Morning Glory Home Care, the specialists in Alton senior care and home care throughout the surrounding communities, for further senior-friendly tips for taking pleasure in nature, and for a companion to provide transportation and accompaniment to fun outdoor activities and functions. Our customized care services make sure seniors maintain total wellbeing at all times, alleviating loneliness and isolation and offering the motivation needed to remain active and engaged.
Whether the need is for just a few hours every week, around-the-clock care, or something in between, reach out to our senior care team any time at 618-667-8400 to request a complimentary in-home consultation and make the first step towards enhancing health and wellbeing for a loved one today! Visit our Service Area page for a full list of the communities where we provide care.