Living through more than a year of a worldwide pandemic taught us never to take for granted the small but extremely significant things in life: shared laughter, hugging our loved ones, a lunch date in our favorite café. We learned firsthand exactly how much socialization is to be valued, and how lost and empty we can feel when it is removed.
July is Social Wellness Month, and now that vaccinations are reducing our need to isolate ourselves, it’s the perfect opportunity to make sure that seniors have adequate opportunities for socialization.
Advantages of Social Wellness
Studies have identified that people who stay social:
- Live longer
- Respond far better to stress
- Have healthier cardiovascular and endocrine systems
- Have a more robust immunity
- And much more
Conversely, individuals who live a more secluded and isolated lifestyle are at increased risk for severe health issues – comparable to the consequences associated with obesity, tobacco use, and high blood pressure.
Simple Tips to Improve Social Wellness in Seniors
If an older adult you love has become accustomed to isolated living and is uncertain of the best way to enhance socialization, these strategies will help:
- Think of current interests, or those a senior loved one might wish to find out more about. Perhaps there’s always been a dream to learn to play the piano, speak a foreign language, or plant an herb garden. Whatever the interest, research local opportunities for a class or group for the older adult to join to learn a new skill or share an existing one with others.
- Gain the dual advantage of health and fitness through joining a gym or exercise group. There are a variety of exercise classes specifically designed for seniors, allowing for a low-impact workout combined with the opportunity to form friendships. Just seek advice from the doctor for approval first.
- Find an organization or cause that the senior is particularly passionate about, and look to determine what their volunteer needs are. Seniors can find meaning and purpose along with socialization opportunities while helping those in need.
How Morning Glory Home Care Is Available to Help
An in-home caregiving companion, like those on the Morning Glory Home Care team, is a quick and easy solution to boost senior socialization. Our caregivers are fully trained, experienced, background-checked, and available for as much or as little time as an older adult would like for conversations, fun activities, outings, and more. We are able to provide transportation and accompaniment to social activities for seniors, or simply visit with the senior in the home on a frequent basis.
Contact our senior care experts any time and let us help a loved one in your life stay healthy, social and well. We provide a free in-home consultation at your convenience, so email or call us today at 618-667-8400 to learn more about our award-winning home health care in Granite City, IL and surrounding areas.