Continuing to live at home for life is the objective of most seniors. Home is the place we are most content. It’s where memories have been and continue to be made. We have meticulously constructed our environment at home based upon our individual tastes and preferences. Plus, it’s where we have the freedom to make all of our own choices: from what and when to eat our meals, to which hobbies we participate in, to the visitors we spend time with.
If maintaining the home or taking care of daily needs ends up becoming difficult later in life, in-home care can be a great option. Senior in-home care allows for independent living where a senior chooses to remain at home with the ideal measure of help.
At Morning Glory Home Care, a trusted provider of home health care in Granite City, IL and the surrounding areas, we receive messages each day from older adults and their relatives who wish to learn more about our aging care solutions, and one of the first questions is commonly, “What are the best ways to cover the cost of home care services?”
There are in fact a number of different methods to pay for home care expenses. Our team is here to help you identify the best solution for you.
Since senior care services are non-medical in nature, the most common method to pay for them is out-of-pocket. Consider these ideas:
- Work with a financial advisor. Financial planners offer guidance on determining which investments you can and should use to finance senior care services.
- Appraise the value of personal assets, such as art, antiques, collectibles, etc. that you might elect to liquidate.
- Talk to a tax professional about determining exactly how much revenue you could gain from selling a piece of property, or whether to explore an equity line of credit.
- Meet with other members of the family to go over splitting the cost for senior care.
Veterans’ Aid & Attendance
The Veterans’ Aid and Attendance program helps wartime veterans and their spouses cover the cost of care in the home, when they meet the following specifications:
- An honorable or general discharge
- Orders from a doctor verifying the need for help with daily activities of living
- Specific financial requirements
- 1 day of service that occurred during an active war, and at least ninety days of service overall
Housebound benefits are another consideration for some veterans. This is an amount that’s paid over and above a veteran’s monthly pension. Qualifications include:
- A single permanent disability that’s been verified as 100% disabling, leaving the veteran permanently and substantially restricted to the home; or
- A single permanent disablement which has been confirmed as 100% disabling, along with another disability (or disabilities) established as 60% or more disabling.
Long-Term Care Insurance
Even though Medicare and standard medical insurance plans usually don’t cover the cost for non-medical senior care services, long-term care insurance plans often do. The specifications for making use of a long-term care plan involve a person’s inability to execute basic activities of daily living, for example eating, bathing, getting dressed, using the bathroom, walking, and transferring from a bed to chair.
Morning Glory Home Care’s experts in home health care in Granite City, IL and surrounding areas are here to help you with acquiring any benefits to which you may be entitled. We will work with you to develop a customized plan of care that fits the senior’s individual needs and budget. Give us a call at 618-667-8400 for a no cost in-home assessment at your convenience and to learn more.