When we get older, skin changes are normal. Our skin becomes thinner and drier, may develop wrinkles, creases, and age spots, and bruises more easily. However, just a little extra TLC for senior skin can make a difference towards keeping it more radiant and healthy. Try these suggestions from the aging care professionals at Morning Glory Home Care:
- Change up the bathing regimen. Persuading an older adult to exchange long, hot baths for a 10-minute shower or warm-water bath and switching bar soap with a gentler cleanser are easy places to start when looking after aging skin. Switching from showering or bathing every day to every other day will further protect a senior’s skin. Older adults should also always follow up bathing with a fragrance-free moisturizer, but stay away from bath oils, which may boost the danger of a fall.
- Guard from the sun when outdoors. Spring is a superb time to enjoy going outside with a senior loved one; however, see to it that the senior protects his or her skin with sunscreen (at least SPF 30), seek out the shade, and provide a wide brim hat for added defense against the sun’s rays.
- Boost humidity when inside the house. Dry air, naturally, contributes to dried-out skin. When heating or air conditioning are running in a senior’s home, make use of a humidifier as well. Test humidity levels with a hydrometer (available at the local hardware or home improvement store), and shoot for a reading of somewhere between 45 and 60%.
- Shield working hands. If a senior loved one enjoys helping with household chores or gardening, make sure he/she wears gloves to shield the hands against any abrasive chemicals that can aggravate or injure the skin.
- Check for skin cancer. Be certain that the older adult goes to the dermatologist at least once a year to be examined for skin cancer, since the risk increases with age. In between appointments, pay attention to any spots or moles on the skin, and advise the dermatologist of any changes in color, size, or shape to existing spots or moles. The physician can also help establish a plan to handle other skin conditions the senior is experiencing. To locate a dermatologist locally, search the American Academy of Dermatology’s database.
At Morning Glory Home Care, our professionally trained home care team is highly skilled in helping seniors maintain optimal health, from head to toe! Just some of the numerous ways we are able to help include:
- Transportation for seniors and accompaniment to check-ups and surgical procedures
- Making sure seniors stay sufficiently hydrated
- Cooking healthy, nutritious meals for seniors
- Providing bathing/showering assistance
- Helping with housework and laundry
- Encouraging physical activity and exercise
- Offering friendly companionship
- And so much more
Get in touch with the experts in senior care at Morning Glory Home Care by calling 618-667-8400 any time to let us know how we can assist. Our top-rated Shiloh home health care offers compassionate, personalized care for area families.