Did you know for each pound of weight we lose, we alleviate four pounds of pressure from our knees, and as many as six pounds from our hips? This is great motivation for everyone to stay active, irrespective of age! In particular for the elderly, however, who are susceptible to joint pain from arthritis along with other conditions of aging, adding a workout program to the day to day routine can make a large difference in decreasing pain.
With approval from the senior’s physician, Morning Glory Home Care, providers of top-rated elder care in Edwardsville, IL and nearby areas, suggests the following types of exercises for older adults to help maintain healthy joints:
- Begin with a warm-up. Prior to exercising, your loved one should always start with gradual bending and stretching moves; for example, reaching up overhead, bending down to touch the toes (or as close as possible without causing pain), side bends, and moving the arms in slow, wide circles.
- Swim a lap or two. Swimming is an excellent low-impact aerobic fitness exercise, and simply being in the water is tremendously relaxing for both your mind and body. Look for a senior swim class, or possibly join your loved one in swimming a few laps at his or her own pace.
- Get in some resistance training. Lifting weights can be performed any time and anywhere and at almost every fitness level. Resistance bands, hand weights and even bottles of water are perfect for building upper body strength. The individual should start off light and gradually work up to an increased difficulty level – again, with guidelines from the doctor.
- Take a hike. There is nothing quite as stimulating and refreshing as going for a walk outdoors, when weather permits. Walking through the neighborhood supplies the additional benefit of socializing with friends on the way; or locate a wooded trail to take pleasure from the quiet beauty of nature.
- Try something new. Check with your nearby senior center or gym to locate a class your loved one might want to try, such as yoga or tai chi. Register for the class together and get the additional advantage of making some fun new memories with the senior!
As the top-rated providers of elder care serving Edwardsville, IL and surrounding communities, it’s our objective to help older adults enjoy life to the fullest, and to stay as active and engaged as possible – boosting both physical and emotional wellbeing. At Morning Glory Home Care, we are always readily available to provide transportation for seniors and accompaniment to workout classes or just about any other activities of interest. Call us at 618-667-8400 to make the first step in assisting your loved one achieve a healthier and happier quality of life!