You’ve just found out that Dad needs to have knee replacement surgery. You have heard a little bit about what this might involve from a friend who has been through it, but are you truly ready to help him prepare for the surgery and recuperate safely and fully afterwards?
Millions of people undergo joint replacement surgery every year. Fortunately, although it can be frightening to face, the resulting relief from pain and commonly quick recovery will soon have your loved one back on their feet.
Getting Ready for Knee or Hip Surgery
It can feel intimidating to try to absorb all the details the doctor will provide before the procedure. The best way to ensure you have all of the essential information is by making a list of questions you need the doctor to answer. Even this step can feel overwhelming, however, but don’t worry – our care team has created a list of commonly asked questions for you!
Copy any relevant questions from the list below, and then add in any others you might have:
- How much pain should be expected after the surgery, and what forms of pain relief are available?
- What are the risks of joint replacement surgery?
- What type of anesthesia is normally used, and are there options available?
- Is it necessary to go to a rehab facility for recovery, or can my loved one recover at home with help?
- Is it recommended that my loved one lose weight or make other lifestyle changes?
- How long will the surgery last?
- What exercises can be started now to strengthen muscles?
- Is it useful to begin practicing walking with a cane or walker prior to the procedure?
- What type of medical equipment or supplies will be of help?
- Are there any medications that should be stopped or started prior to the procedure?
- When can regular activities resume?
- What results should be expected for someone of my loved one’s age and with their specific health problems?
- How long is a typical hospital stay?
- Are there any modifications that should be made now to make the home safer for recovery?
- What specific instructions are there for the day of the surgery?
- How soon after the procedure can my loved one take a shower?
Recovering After Knee or Hip Surgery
Outlining a strategy now for a loved one’s recovery will help make the transition home from the hospital smoother and easier. At Morning Glory Home Care, we are here to help with post-surgical home care services that alleviate some of the stress surrounding a hospitalization. For example, we are able to:
- Encourage participation in physician-approved exercises and provide transportation to PT appointments
- Offer companionship for conversations and enjoyable pastimes during recovery
- Take care of light housekeeping and laundry
- Provide medication reminders so meds are taken just as prescribed
- Prepare nutritious meals
- Monitor for changes in condition or medication side effects and report them immediately
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to and from the hospital
- Assist with transfers and mobility, showers/baths, as well as other personal care needs to reduce the chance of a fall
- Take care of picking up groceries and prescriptions and run any other errands needed
- And more
You can reach us any time online or at 618-667-8400 to learn more about how we can ease a surgical procedure, before, during, and after, for someone you love. Our services are available throughout Granite City, Highland, Edwardsville, and the surrounding areas. Visit our Service Area page to see if we are available to assist in your community.