Caregiving and stress often go hand in hand. Devoting your life to fulfilling the needs of an older loved one can be daunting, specifically when a serious health concern is at play, leaving family care providers with less time to meet their own needs and for fun and relaxing activities. Nevertheless, it’s vitally important for family caregivers to make it a point to designate regular, ongoing time to relax and recharge, and to make their own self-care a top priority.
At Morning Glory Home Care, the top providers of home health care in Granite City, IL and nearby areas, we want to make certain that family members remain in good health, as well as the seniors for whom they’re providing care. These guidelines can help replace stress with tranquility, and restore a healthy life balance for family caregivers:
- Breathe easier. Deep, measured breathing, as ordinary as it seems to be, is an effective means to rapidly calm tension and stress. Sit in a relaxed position, breathe in through your nose for a count of 5, and then breathe out through your nose to a count of 5. Repeat a few times, and build up the length of time you breathe in and out, up to a count of ten.
- Focus on your blessings. It’s common to zero in on the problems at hand and forget about the countless positives that make up each of our lives. Taking a mental inventory of things you’re thankful for can help immensely with changing your perspective, no matter how small the positives may seem: a sunbeam shining through the living room window, a hot cup of coffee, the laughter of your loved one as you share a joke.
- Give your self-esteem a boost. Substituting negative thoughts with positive ones also applies to our internal dialogue about ourselves. Rather than being harsh with yourself internally over losing your patience or a mistake you’ve made, point out to yourself that you’re doing the best you can and are working hard to make life the best it can be for your loved one.
- Remain active. Physical exercise releases endorphins to naturally lift your state of mind and sense of well-being. Although it can be tough to set aside time for a good workout, it’s beneficial to break an exercise regimen into smaller pieces and still gain the rewards. For example, park the car farther from the mall when running errands, make a point to always take the stairs instead of the elevator, and ride a stationary bike while chatting with your senior loved one.
- Find a partner in care. Most importantly, recognize that no one can manage caregiving tasks all alone. Working with a reputable in-home care company, like Morning Glory Home Care, allows family caregivers time away to rest and recharge, while being assured their senior loved one is receiving exceptional care.
Need a little caregiving stress relief? Contact Morning Glory Home Care, providers of the highest quality home health care in Granite City, IL and the surrounding communities, for more tips and resources for cutting down on caregiving stress and for a partner in care to walk with you every step of the way with professional in-home care services for seniors!