Did you ever get up in the morning and realize, from the moment you got out of bed, it was going to be “one of those days?” Perhaps you slept through your alarm, tripped over the dog, and then remembered you were out of milk. These minor nuisances, however, pale in comparison to more than half of all adults in the United States who are trying to manage chronic health conditions.
Whether it is diabetes, cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, or any one of a great many other serious and debilitating health conditions, simply getting through day-to-day life is often a struggle. And unsurprisingly, these challenges can make it difficult to maintain a positive outlook on life.
Morning Glory Home Care is able to help in each of these areas. We provide hands-on support with all the daily tasks that can become overwhelming, along with critical emotional support.
Making Activities of Daily Living Simpler to Manage
Think through your own daily routine when you’re at home:
- A morning shower
- Preparing breakfast
- Making the bed
- Sorting and taking care of laundry
- Dusting and cleaning the house
- Fixing lunch
- Paying bills
- Running to the market along with other errands
- Organizing a closet
- Planning and making dinner
- Cleaning up again!
- Preparing for bed
Now imagine attempting to accomplish all of those tasks while impacted by the side effects of chemotherapy; or in the midst of cognitive decline; or while pulling around an oxygen tank. An in-home caregiver can help with these and other mundane but necessary tasks, freeing up time and energy for the senior to unwind and take part in enjoyable pastimes.
Lifting an Older Adult’s Spirits
It is rather common for an individual battling a chronic health condition to find it hard to maintain a life of joy and to ward off depression. Our experts provide pleasant companionship that lets seniors know they’re cared for. Through conversations, exercise programs, participating in interests and hobbies, and simply being there to listen when life feels discouraging, a caregiving companion brings a breath of fresh air into day-to-day life.
The following tips can help someone with chronic health conditions to feel hopeful and positive:
- Find a sense of purpose. Having purpose in life is important to our wellbeing. It’s a matter of helping an older adult discover what he or she is passionate about and pursuing that interest. Get creative in brainstorming ideas to make life more meaningful: serving others, learning something new, creating a video to document his / her family history or life lessons to pass along to the next generation.
- Find reasons to be thankful. A straightforward but effective way to enhance positivity is by journaling. Encourage the senior to start off every day by listing a number of things she or he is grateful for: the scent of fresh blueberry muffins baking, the beauty of the sunrise, a planned lunch date with a good friend.
- Find activities outside the home. If at all possible, help the older adult enjoy life away from home: a nail or hair appointment, a shopping trip, a visit with friends and family. Even a short walk or time spent on the front porch can be beneficial.
Learn More Ways Home Care Can Help
Reach out to Morning Glory Home Care any time at 618-667-8400 for additional helpful tips for senior loved ones who are trying to manage chronic health conditions. We would also love to come and meet with you in the comfort of your home to talk about more ways that our caregivers can make every day the very best it can be for older adults at home. For more information about our award-winning Highland home care and senior care services throughout the surrounding areas, contact us today.