If you or a loved one is in need of professional in home care, contact us online or call us at 618-667-8400 to learn more about how we can help you and your family. No matter what your home care needs are, Morning Glory Home Care is here to help.
Below is a list of random health facts you may not be aware of:
- Medical researchers contend that no disease ever identified has been completely eradicated.
- The attachment of the human skin to muscles is what causes dimples.
- No one seems to know why people blush.
- In 1972, a group of scientists reported that you could cure the common cold by freezing the big toe.
- The number one cause of blindness in the United States is diabetes.
- The adult human heart weighs about ten ounces.
- People who laugh a lot are much healthier than those who don’t. Dr. Lee Berk at the Loma Linda School of Public Health in
- California found that laughing lowers levels of stress hormones, and strengthens the immune system. Six-year-olds have it best – they laugh an average of 300 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day.
- People who have a tough time handling the stress of money woes are twice as likely to develop severe gum disease, a new study finds.
- Between 25% to 33% of the population sneeze when they are exposed to light.
- Of the 206 bones in the average human adult’s body, 106 are in the hands and feet. (54 in the hands and 52 in the feet)
- In 1815 French chemist Michael Eugene Chevreul realized the first link between diabetes and sugar metabolism when he discovered that the urine of a diabetic was identical to grape sugar.
- Approximately 16 Canadians have their appendices removed, when not required, every day.
- Sumerians (from 5000 BC) thought that the liver made blood and the heart was the center of thought.
- Men have more blood than women. 1.5 gallons for men versus 0.875 gallons for women.
- The first Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages were three inches wide and eighteen inches long. You made your own bandage by cutting off as much as you needed.
- The human brain stops growing at the age of 18.
- In 1977, a 13 year old child found a tooth growing out of his left foot.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 18 million courses of antibiotics are prescribed for the common cold in the United States per year. Research shows that colds are caused by viruses. 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.
- It takes an interaction of 72 different muscles to produce human speech.
- The first known heart medicine was discovered in an English garden. In 1799, physician John Ferriar noted the effect of dried leaves of the common plant, digitalis purpurea, on heart action. Still used in heart medications, digitalis slows the pulse and increases the force of heart contractions and the amount of blood pumped per heartbeat.
And now you know all you never knew you didn’t know!
Courtesy of Healthy Magazine, http://health.abc4.com/articles/332/13-Random-Health-Facts-You-Never-Knew