Following a medical procedure or hospitalization, the words we look forward to hearing most are, “Here are your discharge papers – you’re free to go home now!” What a sense of relief there is in coming through the front door, sinking into a favorite chair, and relaxing.
However, there are often a variety of tasks needed for proper recovery and healing and also to prevent a re-hospitalization. For senior loved ones who live alone, and even for individuals with family support, it can be intimidating to sort through all the post-hospitalization recommendations, pick up prescriptions, make follow-up appointments, adapt to any needed dietary or lifestyle changes, and so much more.
This is where an established home care agency, like Morning Glory Home Care, providers of top-rated home and dementia care in Edwardsville, IL and the surrounding area, is essential. Our transitional home care services can start even prior to discharge to ensure every important detail will be addressed. Working with the hospital’s care team, we can develop and put into action a recovery plan to include:
- Scheduling follow-up appointments
- Preparing a list of medications, together with any allergies and/or dietary restrictions
- Ensuring the fridge and pantry are stocked with healthy foods
- Establishing physical activity routines
- Arranging for any required medical equipment to be delivered to the home
- Outlining any potential medical issues and side effects
After discharge, we are able to:
- Provide safe transportation home from the hospital (and to any follow-up medical appointments or procedures)
- Pick up any prescriptions and ensure they’re taken just as prescribed
- Plan and prepare meals
- Assist with showers, getting dressed, utilizing the toilet, etc.
- Offer companionship for conversations, card games, puzzles, and other enjoyable activities
- Watch for and report any changes in condition or potential medication side effects
- Take care of light household chores and laundry
- Provide support with walking to prevent falls
- Connect your loved one with other local helpful resources
- And a whole lot more
By making use of the knowledgeable and compassionate care staff at Morning Glory Home Care, older adults can reduce the stress that is often connected with a hospitalization and focus on acquiring the rest necessary to recover. Not just that, but our services allow older adults to avoid a stay in a rehab facility so they can recover where they are most comfortable: at home.
If an older adult you love is facing a scheduled surgery, call us. We’ll be pleased to come visit the senior at home and start to formulate a strategy to ensure a smooth transition home again. We can also perform a home safety assessment and present recommendations for any changes essential to prevent falls – a common and hazardous occurrence after a hospitalization.
Contact Morning Glory Home Care for assistance any time at 618-667-8400 for more information about our home and dementia care in Edwardsville, IL and the surrounding communities. We’re here for you, before, during, and after a hospital stay.